Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Australia Ahoy!

One of the biggest and most meaningful moments in my life was my first trip abroad, a once in a lifetime chance to see the world in a way I never have, or honestly thought I would. It was a unique experience that helped make me who I am today, and matured me into the person I will become in the future.

In 2006, I was invited to a student leadership overseas program to Australia. I never thought I would be given such an amazing opportunity to explore other regions and see what makes this world so beautiful at such a young age. I jumped at the occasion to educate myself and bring brand new aspect on not only our culture, but that of other parts of the world. Excitedly I attended many orientation meetings and personal interviews to know that I was up to the task because I was going to be a representative member of my country as well. After I was accepted I remember being nervous before the trip, but overall happy it was really happening.

Nothing could’ve prepared me for all the excitement and exhilaration that occurred over the 3 week long excursion. We had so many incredible events including hiking through the outback, swimming around the Great Barrier Reef, and climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Words cannot describe the beauty I felt from the landscape of Australia’s landscape, and although it was hot, to see wildlife up that close is magnificent. We got to pet the soft fur of kangaroos and play with dolphins in the water. In Sydney, the capital city, a long and chilly climb awaited us atop the bridge. It was extremely cold because of the wind but definitely worth the view. Finally seeing the coral of Great Barrier Reef is quite a sight to behold. It’s like Finding Nemo, but in real life! It is beyond beautiful, everything from the color and texture, to the fish and other creatures that live around the beautiful region. These experiences fueled my interest in other cultures and other regions of the world that are equally beautiful.

Since the expedition I have taken two additional trips with the same organization to different parts of the world. Learning by not only reading, but also seeing up close and in person brings an overwhelming sense of accomplishment in my life. I look back to the trips I’ve taken and feel that I have achieved something that many others have not, or may not at such a young age. Surely these experiences have shaped me into the person I am now, and will become.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're sooo lucky!i really liked your blog, and i like the example of the finding nemo movie.

    Hope we get to hear more of your trips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ridiculously jealous, first off it would be a dream to get a chance to go there. But you went and saw what I dream of, so touche my fellow classmate. Other then that I enjoy reading your blog. It was like I replace my name with yours to experience what you got to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow man, that's pretty awesome. Really would like to travel to Australia now haha. But playing with the dolphins that is pretty amazing! wonder how much you had fun there. i wanna go do that someday. great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice experience. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Followers