A quiet day is a good day… this is especially true when one works or observes at a hospital. We all know things can change in an instant, either for better or worse. Frederick Memorial Hospital can not only be a lively place, but also be a peaceful setting when there isn’t an emergency at hand.
At Frederick Memorial Hospital there is always movement, always people, always opportunities for observing an unpredictable setting. Upon arriving at the location I was greeted with a calm wind gently flowing across my face. The shallow breeze was almost therapeutic, regardless of its lower temperature. Soothingly, birds call to each other in the distance, in a very melodic way, adding to the calmness of the moment. Crickets can be heard, happily chirping in synchronization in surrounding gardens. Beautifully, the pink and white pedals of the various flowers lightly sway in the air. A slow and soft drone of various cars driving by, including ambulances and police security vehicles, add to the harmony created nature. This serenity fashioned by nature, both contrasts and compliments the hospital’s potentials in both directions.
In contrast to nature’s way of creating tranquility, the only loud noises on this peaceful observation are the people that populate this setting. People of all ages, shapes, and sizes enter and exit the tall red bricked building. Many of them are chatting away on their cellular devices, talking about what the doctor said or what recently happened. Others that work there are returning from break after grabbing a smoke, or getting a bite to eat. Surprisingly, upon this observation I saw very few people with external injuries. Few had casts or occasionally crutches but everybody looked for the most part, healthy. The public intermingles with the environment here almost nonchalantly, but furthermore together.
It’s not often we get to really sit down and enjoy the simplest music there is, nature and the things that interact with it.. Hearing the music within a mundane setting is altogether satisfying. Together these many sights, few smells, and abundant noises cultivate a symphony that one can appreciate upon examination. It’s been said a quiet day at a hospital is a good day, no emergencies to report I’m happy to say.

Your words are very descriptive. I have passes by FMH many times and I can envision where you pulled in to observe through your descriptive writing. It is good to hear it was a quiet day at the hospital. I like that phrase that you used, "a quiet day at a hospital is a good day." I couldn't agree more. It is nice that you mentioned it was peaceful to simply sit back and observe. I became aware that I did not spend enough time being quiet and opening my senses as opposed to my mouth. I was almost meditative. I am glad you seemed to have a similar experience.
ReplyDeleteyou have a wide range of vocabulary and a way with words. Very descriptive.
ReplyDeleteWow, great use of adjectives! Parts of your blog were down right poetic!
ReplyDeleteI've only been to FMH once in my life, I'm glad to say. Due to an injury, my boyfriend needed to be rushed there a few months back. Needless to say, I WAS TERRIFIED. Luckily, everything turned out alright, but it was still a very scary, surreal experience. It's nice to know that there are moments where a hospital can be a peaceful place. I pray FMH and any hospital really, sees more of these days.
"A quiet day at a hospital is a good day." So completely true. Great Blog. :)
It definitely felt as if I were there going through what you were telling us. Must have been very pleasant to not see any tragedy on the grounds of the hospital. My only guess is that there has been an apple festival near by..
ReplyDeleteI love the way to described everything! the crickets, the breeze and the people. It didn't really even sound like a hospital, no ambulances, or sirens going off, it was peaceful, even though inside who even knows what was happening.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletetoo eloquent? The fact the words tingle the eardrums as the reader silently whispers in their ear is a bad thing...?
ReplyDeleteNice experience at the hospital. At least it was not that busy. Good job
ReplyDelete